Thursday, April 14, 2011

Final Project Proposal

Overview:
In my final project, I will do a rhetorical analysis on the affective and pathetic appeals of one of this year's most popular films, Inception. This analysis will result in the equivalent of an 8-10 page research paper. The movie is generally regarded as one of high intensity and a forceful dramatic feel, and likely connected to appeals to affect and pathos. Using the theories of affect from the various readings, I will argue that the viewer's captivation towards the movie is a result of both visual and aural affective appeals. I will condense this analysis to a 5-minute presentation in class, and post it to my blog.

Specifics:
1. I will choose a single clip to analyze and to act as a model for the rest of the movie. By exploring the areas of cinematography, the actor's movements and words, sound effects, and music, I hope to show that the affective appeals in these areas are the cause of the viewer's pleasure and heightened intensity.

2. I will use at least 3 of the authors from this semester to connect the appeals in Inception to the claim that the affective appeals in the film are what give the viewer a heightened emotional and affective state.

3. Using a presentation software like Keynote or Prezi, I will present a clip of Inception with an analysis of the affective appeals in both the visual and aural realms -- this presentation will last no more than 5 minutes.

4. There will be an oral workshop on Tuesday, April 26th, and a formal peer review on Thursday, April 28th that the analysis will go through.

5. The final project will be completed and posted on the blog/webfolio by May 5th.

1 comment: